Search

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Trying to keep spirits high by looking back

This is a tough time of the year for me.  As you may have read previously I stepped out of a vice principal roll of about 5 years back into the classroom.  I love being back.  The tough part is that I was in a charter school and am now in a district school.  This really isn't that big of a deal except I had to come in as a temporary teacher.  Meaning no guaranteed job for the next year.  Will I have a job next year?  I am about 98% sure that the answer is yes, but until that day happens there is that unnecessary stress that sits in the back of your mind.  What if...What if...What if...  I hate what ifs when they have to do with my family.

I just wanted to put this out there, but I want to thank @jdmahlstedt.  He was a teacher that was hired at my previous school.  When he started he was green and developed himself into an excellent teacher pretty much on his own.  I loved what he was doing with his kids, they loved going to his class and he made learning fun for them (and from what I can tell still is).  Before I left we sat down and talked math: people, influences, twitter, TMC and blogs.  This is exactly what I needed.  My focuses had been spread over the years as an admin and I knew I needed to get current.  I spent the summer reading, planning, trying to figure out where to fit things in.  There have definitely been some huge ups and at the same time some definite downs.  Both have been excellent learning experiences.

That being said my school is loosing two of our three administrators to retirement and I have had several people asking me to apply.  While this is flattering I feel like the classroom is where I am supposed to be.  There is definitely the need for change to happen, there always is wherever you go.  I will just need to find some different avenues in order to do so.  I'm looking forward to what is to come...

It's Sunday night, one week until state testing starts.  Aren't we all looking forward to them???

No comments:

Post a Comment